Re: Could not create relation: File exists error

From: Jesse Cleary <jcleary(at)email(dot)unc(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PGSQL-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Could not create relation: File exists error
Date: 2007-03-27 13:19:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jesse Cleary <jcleary(at)email(dot)unc(dot)edu> writes:
>
>> This script has been running successfully for several months (70-90 min each night). Out of the blue I'm now getting the following error message after each psql command, except the last vacuum full analyze command:
>>

>> ERROR: could not create relation 1663/835021/4294967254: File exists
>>

> Hm, it seems suggestive that the last number is only a few counts short
> of UINT_MAX. Not sure what to make of it though. Do you in fact have
> files under $PGDATA/base/835021/ with names in that range?
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom

Some further digging: I see that the last numbers in the path repeat
with every nightly run. So I'm getting the exact same error messages
about the same files every night. They range from 4294840092-94
4294967252-58
4294967264-67

All of these files do exist in $PGDATA/base/835021/ and all have a file
size > 0 and a current timestamp coincident with the latest of my hourly
update runs, not the maintenance script run.

One exception is notable - $PGDATA/base/835021/4294967264 - this file
has a size of 0 and a timestamp that coincides with the date and time
range of the nightly run when these errors first appeared. This seems
like a good clue, but not sure what I should do next? Thanks...

Jesse

--
Jesse Cleary
Department of Marine Sciences