Re: What's Popular for CMS and RAD with PHP/PostgreSQL?

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Kevin Murphy <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu>
Cc: Google Mike <googlemike(at)hotpop(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's Popular for CMS and RAD with PHP/PostgreSQL?
Date: 2005-07-15 11:34:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Kevin,

On Jul 15, 2005, at 6:57 AM, Kevin Murphy wrote:

> I too like drupal and use it with postgresql, but some of the
> Drupal contrib module authors are still very mysql-centric and fond
> of writing code that breaks when using postgresql (or doesn't
> support it at all). Luckily, it's usually not too hard to patch
> yourself or find a patch. A lot of highly desirable functionality
> does not exist in the Drupal core but instead is provided by these
> contributed modules. Drupal still recommends mysql and doesn't
> treat postgresql and mysql equally. It would be nice if Drupal
> would keep track of which modules had been tested against
> postgresql, but they don't. If there were a pool of drupal/
> postgresql users willing to be testers, and module authors were
> aware of this, that would help also. I've been too busy to dive in
> and suggest/coordinate this, though.

Yes, I have noticed that MySQL gets better support. Hopefully more
PostgreSQL users will join in to improve the situation. But as you
say, it is generally very simple to update the table definitions for
contributed modules that don't have PostgreSQL support. And all of
the core modules have PostgreSQL definitions.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL