pg_bulkload released

From: Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_bulkload released
Date: 2007-03-14 04:05:51
Lists: pgsql-announce

I'm pleased to announce the release of pg_bulkload, a high speed data loading
utility. It was presented by NTT OSS Center at PostgreSQL Anniversary Summit in
Toronto last summer. Now it is available for download :

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbulkload/

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who gave their time to
help with the development, testing, translation and packaging of this release.

Introduction (from README.pg_bulkload)
---------------------------------------

pg_bulkload provides high-speed data loading capability to PostgreSQL users.

When we load huge amount of data to a database, it is common situation that
data set to be loaded is valid and consistent. For example, dedicated tools
are used to prepare such data, providing data validation in advance. In such
cases, we'd like to bypass any overheads within database system to load data as
quickly as possible. pg_bulkload is developed to help such situations.
Therefore, it is not pg_bulkload's goal to provide detailed data validation.
Rather, pg_bulkload assumes that loaded data set is validated by separate means.
If you're not in such situation, you should use COPY command in PostgreSQL.

--
Toru SHIMOGAKI<shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
NTT Open Source Software Center