Re: Display of error message

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Display of error message
Date: 2007-03-02 11:14:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Erwin,

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Laurent, I was not aware that you were the one to report the problem
> with missing error messages in the first place.
> In the new Windows version Dave has compiled from SVN I still get a
> number instead of additional additional information:
> (Using the faulty query from above: select * from loc where loc like
> 'a%' loc = 'b'; )

> SQL state: 42601
> Character: 39
>
> Laurent, is that what you see, too?
> Actually, the error message IS shown in my case. Only, I get a number
> instead of an additional line of explanation which psql would display.
> That would not be by design, would it?

Yes. We don't display the extra detail there because for non-fixed width
fonts the marker ends up in the wrong place. What we do instead is
display a marker in the left margin of the SQL pane to show the line
where the error occurred, and bung a squiggly underline under the error
word in the SQL pane.

We don't display it in the Edit Grid filter validation error message
because it doesn't make sense when the message refers to a full query of
which you've only written the where clause.

I am interested to know if you've managed to reproduce Laurent's problem
though, in which *only* the error number is shown in the Query Tool, and
no text at all.

Regards, Dave