Re: More Slony questions

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: Pgadmin-Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More Slony questions
Date: 2007-03-01 16:29:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Ah, congratulations - you've now used pgAdmin's Slony support more than
>> I have :-p
>
> That's *really* reassuring! :-P

Just telling it like it is :-)

>> No, it doesn't. pgInstaller would have done it when you installed
>> PostgreSQL + Slony.
>
> OK, so having created the cluster, nodes and subscriptions in pgAdmin,
> do I now go and run the "slon -addengine" commands for each node in the
> cluster? And if so, should this be done *before* I add the subscription(s)?

Sort out slon first, then subscribe iirc. Way back when we'd just
finished the windows port of Slony, Rob Treat blogged some setup notes
which may help you:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/200-Alpha-testing-Slony-on-win32-Crib-Notes.html

> I should add that I've tried this already, and though Slony seems to be
> running and adding messages to the event log, nothing seems to be
> getting replicated! I'll mess around with it a bit more later on today.
>
> I'm looking at all this because I've to write a manual for a small
> installation I set up recently, and while it'll almost certainly be me
> who maintains it for the foreseeable future I have to allow for others -
> mostly non-technical - looking after it also. I'm a relative newcomer to
> Slony and have been using slonik, but I thought pgAdmin might offer an
> easier route for others.

pgAdmin makes things nice and graphical, but doesn't really help
simplify the concepts unfortunately. I will be working on that at some
point, probably not for this release cycle though (this is a 6 month
one, instead of the normal 12 though so it's not too bad!)

Regards, Dave.