Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-02-22 15:19:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> In that proposed syntax, I would drop all "=", ",", "(", and ")".
>> They don't seem necessary and they are untypical for SQL commands.
>> I'd compare with CREATE FUNCTION or CREATE SEQUENCE for SQL commands
>> that do similar things.
>
> I was looking at CREATE TYPE mostly. With removing "=", ",", "(", and
> ")" in CREATE/ALTER FULLTEXT it's needed to add several items in
> unreserved_keyword list. And increase gram.y by adding new rules
> similar to OptRoleList instead of
> simple opt_deflist:
> '(' def_list ')' { $$ = $2; }
> | /*EMPTY*/ { $$ = NIL; }
> ;
>
> Is it acceptable?
> List of new keywords is: LOCALE, LEXIZE, INIT, OPT, GETTOKEN,
> LEXTYPES, HEADLINE
>
> So, syntax will be
> CREATE FULLTEXT DICTIONARY dictname
> LEXIZE lexize_function
> [ INIT init_function ]
> [ OPT opt_text ];
>
> CREATE FULLTEXT DICTIONARY dictname
> [ { LEXIZE lexize_function | INIT init_function | OPT opt_text }
> [...] ]
> LIKE template_dictname;

If we are worried about the size of the transition table and keeping it
in cache (see remarks from Tom upthread) then adding more keywords seems
a bad idea, as it will surely expand the table. OTOH, I'd hate to make
that a design criterion. My main worry has been that the grammar would
be stable.

Just to quantify all this, I did a quick check on the grammar using
bison -v - we appear to have 473 terminal symbols, and 420 non-terminal
sybols in 1749 rules, generating 3142 states. The biggest tables
generated are yytable and yycheck, each about 90kb on my machine.

cheers

andrew