Re: [SQL] Deadlock on transaction

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Deadlock on transaction
Date: 2007-02-12 18:43:49
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> I mean really deadlock. Other transactions can't access the database until
> the main transaction is complete. A question:
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't permit multiple transactions concurrently ?

PG has quite good concurrency behaviour. And "can't access the database"
isn't anything to do with locking - clients should still be able to log in.

We'll need more details:
1. How do you know this is a deadlock? You haven't shown us what's in
pg_locks, but I assume you've identified the problem there.

2. What data are you loading, to what tables?

3. Are there any foreign-keys or triggers we would need to know about?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd