Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS

From: Hideyuki Kawashima <kawasima(at)cs(dot)tsukuba(dot)ac(dot)jp>
To: gene(at)sotech(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date: 2007-02-11 06:04:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gene,

Thanks for your comments !

> On our project, when the power is out, we aren't receiving data
anyways... just my two cents.

I am sorry, but I do not know how I can appropriately answer since I do
not understand what you would like to ask me in this sentence. I
understand that you have a project with UPS, and when the power failure
occurs on UPS, suddenly your system cannot get data. Is my understanding
right ? If so, then I agree with you and the reliability and durability
of UPS is mandatory for your system.

> on a side note, would putting the wal on a tmpfs partition give you
something similar?

There are two differences between Sigres method and tmpfs with UPS method.
1: XLogWrite
Even if you use tmpfs, your system executes XLogWrite which includes
write().
Since write() is heavy system call, Sigres would be slightly faster than
tmpfs method.
2: XLogWriteLock
Even if you use tmpfs, your system lock/release XLogWriteLock while
Sigres ignores.
Although the frequency of XLogWriteLock accesses is lower than
XLogInsertLock,
ignoring XLogWriteLock improves the performance especially in many core
environment.

Best Regards,

-- Hideyuki