Re: 10 weeks to feature freeze (Pending Work)

From: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
To: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 10 weeks to feature freeze (Pending Work)
Date: 2007-02-07 00:03:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Hammond wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2:38 pm, t(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) wrote:
>> Rick Gigger <r(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com> writes:
>>> I thought that the following todo item just barely missed 8.2:
>>> "Allow a warm standby system to also allow read-only statements [pitr]
>> No, it's a someday-wishlist item; the work involved is not small.
>
> Slony1 has supported log-shipping replication for about a year now. It
> provides similar functionality.

Yes but Slony is much more complicated, has significantly more
administrative overhead, and as far as I can tell is much more likely to
impact my production system than this method would.

Slony is a lot more flexible and powerful but I don't need that. I just
want a backup that is reasonably up to date that I can do queries on and
and failover to in case of hardware failure on my primary db.

I am going to be looking more closely at Slony now that it seems to be
the best option for this. I am not looking forward to how it will
complicate my life though. (Not saying it is bad, just complicated. At
least more complicated than simple postgres log shipping.