Re: Autovacuum launcher patch

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum launcher patch
Date: 2007-01-29 19:58:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hmm, I remember eyeballing that code. Would you mind sending me an URL
> to that file, or something? Or maybe send me the files themselves?

Sure, here's a patch against current CVS. Please remove all the
functions referencing to "buffer" and "buffer.h" to compile.

Remember that it's a work in progress thing. It has flaws. One issue
that currently bugs me is, that processes can deadlock if they keep
trying to create a message (IMessagesCreate), but fail because the queue
is full of messages for themselves. A process should thus always try to
fetch messages (via IMessagesCheck) and remove pending ones before
retrying to send one. That's not always practical.

One design limitation is, that you have to know how large your message
is as soon as you reserve (shared) memory for it, but that's intended.

At least I've stress tested the wrap-around code and it seems to work.
No guarantees, though ;-)

Regards

Markus

Attachment Content-Type Size
curr_imessages.patch text/x-diff 13.4 KB