Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Date: 2007-01-25 18:57:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>
>>> This might be a good idea, but it's hardly transparent; it can be
>>> counted on to break the applications of just about everyone using those
>>> modules today.
>>>
>> Hmm, can we make separate schema for all contib modules and include it
>> in default search_path? It will not touchs most users.
>>

> Oh now that is interesting... something like a contrib schema that
> everything is loaded into? That would would work nicely and removes a
> lot of problems.
>
> People can use the modules if they want, they don't have to enable the
> functions but they aren't in the way of their app or db either.

I think I'd rather have one schema per module than one for all of
contrib, but maybe the addition to the search path makes a single schema
more sensible.

Another approach to backwards compatibility issue, perhaps, would have 2
install scripts per module, one that installs stuff in the public schema
for legacy purposes, and one that uses a dedicated schema.

cheers

andrew