Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0

From: Chris Campbell <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0
Date: 2006-08-31 15:17:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:00, Dave Page wrote:

> Yeah. They can include ppc64 as well. GCC will create them just
> fine, or
> you can build them individually and combine the resulting executables
> and libs using the lipo tool.

That's how I build my Universal PostgreSQL binaries (and any other
configure-based project). I "./configure && make && make install" on
both a PowerPC Mac and an Intel Mac (because configure looks at the
host system to make decisions), then lipo the results together
(that's how Xcode does it, BTW). It's worked beautifully thus far,
but it does require two machines.

Here's the script I use to run lipo. I create a directory structure
like the following ("ppc" contains the binaries built on the PowerPC
machine, "i386" contains the binaries built on the x86 machine, I
duplicate one of them as "fat" so that I have the directory structure
and non-binary files in place). When I'm done, the I install the
"fat" directory on the local machine as /usr/local/pgsql and I'm set.

A full run looks something like:

$ cd postgresql-8.1.4
$ scp -r powerpc-mac:/usr/local/pgsql ppc
$ scp -r intel-mac:/usr/local/pgsql i386
$ cp -R ppc fat
$ ./run.sh
$ sudo cp -R fat /usr/local/pgsql

Directory structure
===================
postgresql-8.1.4/
to_lipo.txt
run.sh
ppc/
bin/
postmaster
i386/
bin/
postmaster
fat/
bin/
postmaster

run.sh
======
#!/bin/sh

for file in `cat to_lipo.txt`; do
echo "${file}"
lipo -create -output "fat/${file}" -arch ppc "ppc/${file}" -arch
i386 "i386/${file}"
file "fat/${file}"
done

echo "Done."