Re: Exporting results from query window to a file

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: mike <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
Cc: PG Admin <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Exporting results from query window to a file
Date: 2006-12-05 11:05:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has something changed from 1.4 to 1.6 in how pgadmin exports files? In
> 1.6 RC1 I have had issues when exporting the results of a query to a
> file that
> A) I get the dialog box that says the Export completed sucessfully
> B) Upon opening the file I find it is damaged because the results were
> not completely exported. Maybe on row 66 the end of the line is not
> present. The file should have had over 100 rows.
> C) Running it again from the same query window the results noted in A
> and B occur again but the actual number of rows written to the file are
> completely different. Usually a fewer amount of rows get exported.
> D) Copying and pasting the same query into a new query window, running
> the query, and then exporting the data works successfully.
>
> I have a co-worker who also had the same problems with the final release
> of 1.6.
>
> I have not tried 1.6.1 but it didn't appear that the changes made
> between 1.6.1 and 1.6 would have affected this.
>
> Client platform is WinXP SP2 and Database platform is Win2003.
>
> I cannot reproduce this consistently.

There were some changes to check that data was converted to the correct
encoding correctly, and to correct a race issue over slow networks where
the data export may complete before all the data has actually been
retrieved from the server.

How are you executing the export - from the file menu on the query tool?
What encoding are you using?

Is there a small dataset that fails often enough that you could package
it as a test case for me to look at?

Regards, Dave