Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-22 20:41:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hi,

[ copying back to -hackers. ]

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> You have totally misunderstood me. I mean, what sort of grammar changes
> do you need. Oh, and *you* might submit changes, but *we* have to
> support them

Agreed, as long as *we* includes me. I'm not reading it like that, but I
don't know how you meant it.

> if they go into the core.

Sure, if...

I think the group of developers working on PostgreSQL can be extended,
by accepting patches, in the hope that the original authors keep
supporting it - especially because it's easy to revert patches again.
Not accepting extensions because the current group thinks they can't
support it won't help in attracting more developers and enlarging that
group.

I'm taking Postgres-R along since 7.4, for example. You can be very sure
that I won't drop it because it got into core. (Bad example, because
this is not going to happen anytime soon, if at all.)

Regards

Markus