Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-22 20:40:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Wasn't there supposed to be some discussion among replication authors to
> try to come up with at least some common hooks?
>
> If everybody invents their own grammar, GUC vars, etc. etc. it will be
> impossible to handle down the track. We'd be faced with a choice of
> never having any replication in core, or picking one and leaving the
> others out in the cold. This is supposed to be a *community*.

I don't have the expectation that Mammoth Replicator will ever be
open-sourced (this is my personal opinion; the company owner may
differ). And even if it were, I doubt it would serve as a basis for
whatever community effort to build a replication engine. I don't think
it's in anybody's best interest to base design decisions on Mammoth
Replicator "experience". The projects that are already open source are
in a much better standing for that (GORDA, Postgres-R, Slony, etc).