Re: from Web 2.0 Conference

From: Mike Ellsworth <nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: from Web 2.0 Conference
Date: 2006-11-10 15:41:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Chris Browne wrote:

>nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com (Mike Ellsworth) writes:
>

>>Couple of links from the Web 2.0 conference which I thought folks may
>>find interesting. On many levels.
>>
>>http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/110806-web-20-bezos-cant-get.html
>>
>>Amazon Simple Storage Service:
>>http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
>>
>>which can work in concert with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud
>>http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011
>>

>Very interesting. That offers a way of doing "virtual shared hosting"
>at $0.10/h per VM, where you can build your own customized VM (based
>on Linux). I'm not sure it's an excellent way of hosting databases,
>but it would definitely be a nice way to get around web hosting
>providers' tendancies to only offer tightly chosen toolsets (often
>that *don't* include PostgreSQL).
>
>And it means that you can evade the need to buy your own server in
>order to have a customized hosting environment.

I established a Beta account yesterday. We won't have time to fiddle
with it until mid-December, but I'll report back before end of year. I
find it intriguing as an emergency measure against the "Slashdot" effect.
I would anticipate Amazon creating a web services category where users
could purchase/lease web apps, much as Safari now does with books.
Of course, many others will follow.

>>Marten Mickos
>>The Great Structured Database in the Sky
>>http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=3918
>>

>So "pie in the sky"...
>
>He's not grasping in the slightest (or expressing) the general
>aversion people have assortedly over:
> - Sharing MY PROPRIETARY DATA
> - The privacy problems that fall out of linking diverse sets of
> databases.

I had a giggle when I read that article. Something tells me he isn't
well-versed in HIPAA.
Then again, I guess there are some people that feel comfortable sleeping
on the street during Mardi Gras.

>I spent yesterday at an RFID conference where those were Very
>Prominent Issues.

Would be nice if one of you PG heavyweights spoke at the Web 2.0
conference. Hopefully this suggestion won't reopen that Travel thread.