Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: infrastructure?
Date: 2006-11-09 20:01:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Matteo,

> While you may not have the need to get paying advertisers, I feel that
> rotating ads of open source projects which use pgsql was an interesting
> idea, even though it was partly abandoned during the site restyle.
>
> There is a fairly good number of monthly ad impressions (without banners
> on the home page) and it's just a pity to avoid using them.

Hmmm ... we can re-discuss this. The reason for removing them is that
*paid* ads detract from our image as a serious, well supported, mature
OSS project. Look for other major OSS projects who run paid ads on
their home page ... there aren't any.

Now, if we wanted to make those ads exclusively for PG-supporting OSS
projects and for major donors to postgresql.org (and I'm talking
$10,000+ per year here) then it might be worth revisiting.

What do people think?

--Josh