Re: database "postgres" does not exist

From: louis gonzales <gonzales(at)linuxlouis(dot)net>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Emmanuel Courcelle <emmanuel(dot)courcelle(at)toulouse(dot)inra(dot)fr>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database "postgres" does not exist
Date: 2006-10-24 23:56:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Richard,
Are you sure that you weren't typing an additional argument, such as:
sudo -u postgres psql db_name

Reason I ask is because, by default running the command psql assumes
some things if you don't call them out explicitly such as:

psql assumes:
-h 127.0.0.1
-p 5432 (or whichever was compiled in)
user_name (database name, named that of the user)
user_name (user name, named that of the user)

so when you type:
sudo -u postgres psql, I think it's interpreted as:
sudo -u postgres -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5432 postgres postgres

sudo -u postgres psql -d template1 (implies a user of postgres) and that's why it works.

--
Email: louis(dot)gonzales(at)linuxlouis(dot)net
WebSite: http://www.linuxlouis.net