Re: Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add '--ignore-errors' into pg_regress
Date: 2021-06-29 17:59:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> I want to add the '--ignore-errors' option into the pg_regress module.

> I understand it can't be used in the regression or TAP tests. But such
> option is useful to test a custom extension.

I'm really skeptical that this has any positive use. It seems more
likely to be a foot-gun.

Also, pg_regress will already complete all the tests in a particular
suite, and I'm not clear on why you wouldn't try to get (say) the core
suite passing before trying something else. If the core suite has got
problems it seems unlikely that you can learn much from other suites.

BTW, I wonder if you can't get much or all of the same effect
from "make -k check-world".