Re: Large tables (was: RAID 0 not as fast as

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large tables (was: RAID 0 not as fast as
Date: 2006-09-21 07:31:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Luke,

Luke Lonergan wrote:

>> I thought that posix_fadvise() with POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED was exactly
>> meant for this purpose?
>
> This is a good idea - I wasn't aware that this was possible.

This possibility was the reason for me to propose it. :-)

> We'll do some testing and see if it works as advertised on Linux and
> Solaris.

Fine, I'm looking forward to the results.

According to my small test, it works at least on linux 2.6.17.4.

Btw, posix_fadvise() could even give a small improvement for
multi-threaded backends, given that the I/O subsystem is smart enough to
cope intelligently to cope with large bunches of outstanding requests.

HTH,
Markus