Re: [HACKERS] Is there any utility to update the table whenever text

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Is there any utility to update the table whenever text
Date: 2006-09-17 00:51:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 03:41:06AM -0700, Dhanaraj M wrote:
>> The utility must update the table whenever there is any change in the
>> text file.
>> Can it be automated?
>
> There's nothing in the database that could do this directly.

I've seen examples where someone did this with DBI_link or some
derivative thereof - where when the table changes queries instantly
see the modified result..

DBI-Link documentation mentions that CSV and ps and Google
output can be used:
http://fetter.org/DBI-Link.pdf#search=%22dbi_link%20%22
so I'm guessing if he can write a DBI-like adapter for
the text file in question, this would work for him too.