Re: minor feature request: Secure defaults during function creation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pascal Meunier <pmeunier(at)cerias(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minor feature request: Secure defaults during function creation
Date: 2006-09-17 00:57:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:24:43AM -0400, Pascal Meunier wrote:
>> My request is to allow changing default permissions for function creation, a
>> la "umask", or at least not give PUBLIC execute permissions by default.

> Hrm... do we have any other objects that default to granting permissions
> on creation?

Yes; see the GRANT reference page.

I'm disinclined to change it. We've had the current behavior since we
introduced ACLs for functions at all, and there have been very few
complaints. I think we'd get a lot more complaints if we denied public
EXECUTE by default. One reason is that given the way pg_dump and
default permissions work, any such change would break existing
applications, because an existing schema loaded into a new backend
would suddenly have different permissions behavior.