Re: Portable Postgres?

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Portable Postgres?
Date: 2006-09-14 00:47:04
Lists: sfpug

David Fetter wrote:
> How about using a LiveCD with PostgreSQL included?

That's an option - although I prefer the USB stick (or ipod) for size
and durability.

> Also, could you clarify a bit what you'd be trying to do with it, and
> what restrictions the soluation needs to take into account?

Personally, I'm going to be travelling for six months and I'm trying to
see if I can replace a laptop with a complete local development
environment on a USB drive. I would use the drive at Internet cafes
(Win 2k, XP usually) to fix some code if needed while on the road. I
can't rely on connecting to a pg server over the wire because the
connections may be painfully slow.

Brian