Re: Portable Postgres?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Portable Postgres?
Date: 2006-09-14 00:40:14
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:22:55PM -0700, Brian Ghidinelli wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >It's been talked about but AFAIK nobody has done it.
>
> Thanks Josh, that's what I feared. It seems like all of the command
> line parameters should make it possible but the requirement for a
> non-administrator user could complicate things (particularly on,
> say, a internet cafe machine that has restricted permissions).
>
> I'll try and poke around a bit. Alternatively, can you compile
> Postgres from source without that restriction?

There's been some talk about this, but I believe that's about as far
as it's gone.

How about using a LiveCD with PostgreSQL included?

Also, could you clarify a bit what you'd be trying to do with it, and
what restrictions the soluation needs to take into account?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!