After how many updates should a vacuum be performed?

From: Ellen Cyran <ellen(at)urban(dot)csuohio(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: After how many updates should a vacuum be performed?
Date: 2006-09-13 16:06:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a database that periodically we perform large updates, around
a million records, after that the vacuum will run for 12 hours without
completing. After that, I typically remove the 2 indexes and 1
constraint on the largest table, 7 million records, and the vacuum will
complete in a couple of hours and the indexes can be recreated in a half
hour.

After how many updates should a vacuum be performed? Do indexes need to
be recreated periodically? Would auto vacuuming help in this case? Any
suggestions on tuning?

The database is in PostgreSQL 8.0.7.

Thanks.

Ellen