Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification
Date: 2006-09-11 13:48:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lately there have been some buildfarm registrations for "Debian
testing/unstable" or similarly described machines. I have kicked back
against these, as the description seems to me to be far too open ended.
Likewise, I also have difficulty with Gentoo because a version there
seems to describe a build system but not any reasonably bounded set of
software. The whole point of classifying buildfarm machines is so that
we can pin down problems to some class of machines, so I'm not really
sure what I should do in these cases that essentially represent highly
mobile targets.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew