Re: [HACKERS] Fix linking of OpenLDAP libraries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Fix linking of OpenLDAP libraries
Date: 2006-09-11 13:49:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Static links are going to require it on every platform, not just AIX.
> The question do we want to ask is how easy do we want to make static
> linking, because the same treatment will have to apply to -lssl,
> -lcrypto, -lkrb5, -lk5crypto and quite possibly others. Do we really
> want to go there?

Well, we already have a solution for static linking within the PG build
environment, the question is do we wish to export it. Given the lack of
complaints to date, I think not. Do we really want to encourage anyone
to statically link libraries that don't belong to their project? It's
not only the build-time dependency hell, it's the difficulty of
installing library updates. There's a reason why dynamic link is the
default on all modern platforms.