Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1

From: barbara figueirido <barbara(at)bariloche(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1
Date: 2006-09-07 09:10:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Guido Barosio escribió:
> Pretty often we face users confusing the listen_addresses param to
> what pg_hba.conf functionality provides.
> Obviously, a user getting involved with documentation (good rtfm
> person) would make a difference. But seems that in general, the
> wildcard '*' translates into the user mind as "this will represent a
> security hazzard, so I will hardcode my ipaddress", and seriously, *I
> don't know why* this allways fails.
you are right and I apologize, I should have delved deeper into the
documentation, which in fact I read somewhat hastily; but anyway, you
should recognize that this *is* confusing:

(from the postgresql 8.1 documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#GUC-LISTEN-ADDRESSES
)
listen_addresses (string)

Specifies the TCP/IP address(es) on which the server is to listen
for connections from client applications. The value takes the form
of a comma-separated list of host names and/or numeric IP addresses.
The special entry * corresponds to all available IP interfaces. If
the list is empty, the server does not listen on any IP interface at
all, in which case only Unix-domain sockets can be used to connect
to it. The default value is localhost, which allows only local
"loopback" connections to be made. This parameter can only be set at
server start.

---
if there were nothing of "hostnames and/or numeric IP addresses", the
line reading "all available IP interfaces" would acquire its full sense
and one might (so I think) notice at a glance the reference to
interfaces; as it implies that you *should* enter hostnames or IP
addresses, one might think it correct to give the interface's IP address
-- which proved wrong, at least in my case.

Obviously this is no excuse for not having taken care of the differences
of postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf, which I'll try to bear in mind in
future....

Tank you again to all of you,

Bárbara