Re: Query performance inconsistant.

From: Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query performance inconsistant.
Date: 2006-08-31 19:04:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net> writes:
>> I have been having performance problems with my DB so this morning I
>> added some config to log queries that take more than 250ms. The result
>> is surprising because some queries will take as long as 10 seconds, but
>> then you do a explain analyze on them they show that indexes are being
>> used and they run very fast.
>
> Is it possible that it's not directly that query's fault? For instance
> it could be blocked by a lock held by some other transaction. I can't
> unfortunately think of any very nice way to deduce this from log entries
> ... you'd have to catch it in the act and look into pg_locks to find out
> who's the perpetrator.
>
> regards, tom lane

This does help me try to figure out where the problem is. The proc in
question inserts in a very large table, and updates another large table.
Since postgres puts each proc in it's own transaction I'm thinking the
problem may be the database locking these large tables while this proc
is called concurrently.

In order to understand this better I need to know how postgres locking
works and when locks are used. Do you know of any documentation that I
can read that explains this?

Thanks,
schu