Re: Query performance inconsistant.

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query performance inconsistant.
Date: 2006-08-31 19:27:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 11:04 -0800, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net> writes:
> >> I have been having performance problems with my DB so this morning I
> >> added some config to log queries that take more than 250ms. The result
> >> is surprising because some queries will take as long as 10 seconds, but
> >> then you do a explain analyze on them they show that indexes are being
> >> used and they run very fast.
> >
> > Is it possible that it's not directly that query's fault? For instance
> > it could be blocked by a lock held by some other transaction. I can't
> > unfortunately think of any very nice way to deduce this from log entries
> > ... you'd have to catch it in the act and look into pg_locks to find out
> > who's the perpetrator.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
>
> This does help me try to figure out where the problem is. The proc in
> question inserts in a very large table, and updates another large table.
> Since postgres puts each proc in it's own transaction I'm thinking the
> problem may be the database locking these large tables while this proc
> is called concurrently.
>
> In order to understand this better I need to know how postgres locking
> works and when locks are used. Do you know of any documentation that I
> can read that explains this?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/mvcc.html

In the "Explicit Locking" section it details the locks acquired by
UPDATE, etc.

>From what you described, I would not expect many locking problems. Are
there any other types of queries you run that may cause a lock? Do you
run periodic "VACUUM FULL" or something? "VACUUM FULL" causes a full
table lock, and is usually not necessary. If so, try running just
"VACUUM" without "FULL".

Regards,
Jeff Davis