Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0
Date: 2006-08-31 15:27:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> [...]
Yeah, well, I've thought that too... ;-)

>>Interesting.. So "universal binaries" actually contain both
>>i386 and ppc
>>code in one file? I've always though that universion apps just contain
>>two different binaries for both architectures (One in "MacOS", and one
>>in "MacOS86" or such...)
>
> Yeah. They can include ppc64 as well. GCC will create them just fine, or
> you can build them individually and combine the resulting executables
> and libs using the lipo tool.
Hm.. So why not compile to versions of postgres, and combine the two
into one library? It's a bit hacky, but I guess it'd work for all libs
that pgadmin needs, and you don't have to got fix all libs...

>>Hm.. I think that complete-bundle.sh will need some work to "do the
>>right thing" for universal binaries - Or have you already found a
>>solution for that?
>
> I haven't fully tested it, but last time I looked it didn't appear to be
> much work to tweak for i386 binaries. Hopefully Universal will be
> similarly simple.
Hm.. depends.. If the universal binary references a universal library,
in the same way that a ppc binary references a ppc lib, then it should
be easy...

If, on the other hand, you get two references, one for the ppc-part
referencing the ppc-part of the lib, and the same for the i386 parts,
then fixing complete-bundle.sh will be hard

greetings, Florian Pflug