TCP_NO_DELAY & TcpAckFrequency (Re: Slow query through ODBC)

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TCP_NO_DELAY & TcpAckFrequency (Re: Slow query through ODBC)
Date: 2006-08-01 09:55:59
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi list

This is a follow-up to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2006-02/msg00067.php

Let me sum up the problem :
I run a query in pgadmin into a file (to be sure that all data is
transfered). It runs very fast (in about 10sec), and data is
transfered from the server at a very fast rate (~1MB per second).
I run the same query via psqlodbc in a VBA application. It takes
ages to run and data is transfered at a very slow pace (~80kB per
second).

The query returns the WKT representation of a geometry, so it
returns a very long varchar field.
Last time we discussed this problem, we thought the problem was
with TCP_NO_DELAY.
We hadn't found out why the TCP/IP stack behaved differently in
pgadmin and in psqlodbc.

I am still experiencing this behaviour, even though I installed
postgresql on a brand new server, and my workstation was also just
reinstalled.
Since the problem is still there, I'd like to know if newer
versions of psqlodbc could have changed things.
I am still using the latest official releases (8.01.0200), but
maybe there are beta release I could try ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot
--
Arnaud