Re: Time to scale up?

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Advocacy(at)Postgresql(dot)Org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-26 06:43:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, that's what I mean, only at www.postgresql.org and with integrated
> documentation as well as packaging.
>
> The "PostgreSQL is a kernel" metaphor breaks down pretty fast, given
> that PostgreSQL sans add-ons is quite useful, to the extent that (as
> many many people have previously written) the fact that add-ons even
> *exist* is news to lots of PostgreSQL users. This is not a
> misconception someone trying to use "Linux" (just the kernel) would ever
> run into.
>
> I think any honest assessment of the "software evaluation experience"
> around PostgreSQL would have to admit that (a) people start at the main
> PostgreSQL web site and (b) the existence and overall utility of the
> various add-ons are pretty well hidden and (c) if they were less well
> hidden people might have a better initial impression of the available
> capabilities of the overall product.

Very well put. This covers the perception aspect of it.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I *can* see the value in someone putting together an official "community
> package" of PostgreSQL plus add-ons. We've talked about this before as
> the "kitchen sink" PostgreSQL (KSPG). However, I think you need to be
> realistic about the amount of work this would involve:
>
> 1) Assembling a trusted, qualified "jury" of PostgreSQL community
> members to vote on the list of add-ons to be included.
>
> 2) Crafting a fair and public review process for "mature" PostgreSQL
> add-ins.
>
> 3) Developing a build system which can handle add-ins with external
> dependencies.
>
> 4) Working out the multiple different licenses which add-ins are under
> and informing the users of which parts of the KSPG are differently
> licensed, as well as deciding which licenses may prohibit add-ins from
> being included.

Great set of action items! Add some item that resolves the issues that Paul mentions and
this would address all of my concerns. Well, given that (3) also covered inclusion of
add-ons in the build-farm.

IMHO, the work that we put into this will be hours very well spent. I'm of course biased
being an add-on author, but I don't think it would be too hard to muster the resources for
it. And, as you suggest, some items have a value of their own. If we put together a plan
that clearly expresses the intents to go this route then my guess is that more such items
would be exposed.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren