Re: Time to scale up?

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: "Pgsql-Advocacy(at)Postgresql(dot)Org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-25 23:38:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Yes, that's what I mean, only at www.postgresql.org and with integrated
documentation as well as packaging.

The "PostgreSQL is a kernel" metaphor breaks down pretty fast, given
that PostgreSQL sans add-ons is quite useful, to the extent that (as
many many people have previously written) the fact that add-ons even
*exist* is news to lots of PostgreSQL users. This is not a
misconception someone trying to use "Linux" (just the kernel) would ever
run into.

I think any honest assessment of the "software evaluation experience"
around PostgreSQL would have to admit that (a) people start at the main
PostgreSQL web site and (b) the existence and overall utility of the
various add-ons are pretty well hidden and (c) if they were less well
hidden people might have a better initial impression of the available
capabilities of the overall product.

Pointing out that your site over there does a better job of it does not
make the main site any less unhelpful.