different sort order in windows and linux version

From: Dragan Matic <mlists(at)panforma(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: different sort order in windows and linux version
Date: 2006-06-30 09:56:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I have two postgres servers, one on linux (fedora core 5), one on
windows, both are version 8.1.4.

Both databases are initialized with locale Croatian and win1250 encoding.

running pg_controldata on windows returns this

LC_COLLATE: Croatian_Croatia.1250
LC_CTYPE: Croatian_Croatia.1250

the same command on linux returns this

LC_COLLATE: hr_HR
LC_CTYPE: hr_HR

which is the same, I suppose.

the sample databases are both initialized the same way

CREATE DATABASE sample
WITH OWNER = postgres
ENCODING = 'WIN1250'
TABLESPACE = pg_default;

both databases have the same sample table

CREATE TABLE sample
(
some_text char(13) NOT NULL
);

when I execute a query 'SELECT SOME_TEXT FROM SAMPLE ORDER BY SOME_TEXT'
I get different sort order on these two servers.

On the left side is windows server sort order, and on the right side is
linux server sort order. all values are left padded with spaces.

Postgres windows Postgres linux

0 0
1 000
2 0000000000000
3 1
4 11
5 12
6 123
7 125
8 13
9 14
a 15
A 2
b 2343255
b 234455
B 243
c 25
C 3
d 31TA001
e 32NU280
f 35
g 4
z 45
11 5
12 55
13 56455
14 6
15 65
25 7
35 75
45 8
55 85
65 9
75 a
85 A
aa aa
ab aaa
aB aab
Ab ab
AB aB
ba Ab
bb AB
cc aba
000 abA
123 aBa
125 AbA
243 ABA
aaa abb
aab abb
aba abc
abA abc
aBa abC
AbA Abc
ABA ABC
abb abcde
abb acc
abc b
abc b
abC B
Abc ba
ABC baa
acc bab
baa bb
bab bba
bba bbb
bbb bca
bca c
zzz C
zzz cc
56455 d
abcde e
234455 f
2343255 g
31TA001 z
32NU280 zzz
0000000000000 zzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

The only thing I can think of is that somehow these databases weren't
initialized in the same way, if so what is the difference?

Tnx in advance

Dragan