Re: different sort order in windows and linux version

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Dragan Matic <mlists(at)panforma(dot)co(dot)yu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: different sort order in windows and linux version
Date: 2006-06-30 10:13:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 11:56:19AM +0200, Dragan Matic wrote:
> I have two postgres servers, one on linux (fedora core 5), one on
> windows, both are version 8.1.4.
>
> Both databases are initialized with locale Croatian and win1250 encoding.
>
> running pg_controldata on windows returns this
>
> LC_COLLATE: Croatian_Croatia.1250
> LC_CTYPE: Croatian_Croatia.1250
>
> the same command on linux returns this
>
> LC_COLLATE: hr_HR
> LC_CTYPE: hr_HR
>
> which is the same, I suppose.

Well, apparently not. Postgres makes no attempt to understand
collations nor try to determine whether they make sense. If you want to
have the same collation on Windows and Linux, I think you're going to
have trouble.

In the past there have existed patches to allow postgres to use ICU for
locale support. It's supposedly not quite as fast, but you will be able
get consistant results across platforms.

Hope this helps,