Re: [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Charles Comiskey <comiskey(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions
Date: 2006-06-23 01:17:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>1) Is any John Franks code really in this file?

Possibly, maybe probably. I don't remember the details (9 years is a
long time!) but almost certainly any code or algorithms were
specifically for the "inside" or "outside" routines.

>>2) Did John provide a separate license for PostgreSQL to license it under
>>the BSD license?

Not explicitly that I can recall.

> This code seems to have been inserted by Tom Lockhart on 1997-07-29
> (geo_ops.c rev 1.13). Tom, any info on the copyright status?

None, beyond the info you already resurrected. I vaguely recall that I
did take the LJ letter as an invitation to reuse algorithms. I would
guess that I had possible licensing conflicts in mind so would have
tried to avoid them, but it would probably be best for someone to
evaluate that from the current code bases. I may have preserved the
Franks info for attribution of concepts to a specific person and version.

My (also vague) recollection is that the original Postgres algorithm was
just broken. I would suggest looking at the code, contacting J. Franks
if there are questions or a need for license clarification or
authorization, and finding an alternative algorithm if necessary.

hth

- Tom