grant all privileges on database

From: developer(at)wexwarez(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: grant all privileges on database
Date: 2006-12-13 20:20:03
Lists: pgsql-general

grant all privileges on database test to auser

As far as I can tell this does nothing. Intuitively this command suggests
that the auser would be able to access and modify the database test in
anyway. It would also suggest that as new tables for the database auser
would automatically have access to them.

Instead it appears that we have to still individually grant access to
tables on an individual basis. It seems to me that if it did pass these
blanket privileges on it would be very useful and make administration a
lot easier. While it is not hard to initially grant the individual access
(i am looking for a script) it is a pain in the butt to maintain. Is this
in fact how it works?

While I am sure someone will reply that by forcing us to individually
grant access on a table by table basis you are inherently forcing the
administrators to maintain high security - which is a good thing. However
i would then reply that in fact because most db admins are lazy this means
that they won't even bother and just use the super user privilege instead.