Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap

From: Koichi Suzuki <suzuki(dot)koichi(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap
Date: 2006-06-08 05:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> Koichi Suzuki wrote:
>>> I've once proposed a patch for 64bit transaction ID, but this causes
>>> some overhead to each tuple (XMIN and XMAX).
>
>> Did you check performance on 32-bit or 64-bit systems and 64-bit binary
>> version of PGSQL? I think that today is not problem to have 64-bit
>> architecture and 64-bit ID should increase scalability of Postgres.

I checked the performance on 64-bit system and 64bit binary.

> The percentage increase in I/O demand is the main reason the patch was
> rejected, not so much the arithmetic.

That's right. I've also ovserved I/O demand increase. I remember we
have to pay three to five percent performance decrease in pgbench. So I
don't think we should apply this patch without further justification.
I'm looking for other reasons for larger transaction ID.

--
Koichi Suzuki