Re: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: carlosreimer(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI
Date: 2006-06-03 00:13:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mark Lewis wrote:

> The naive approach works on IDE drives because they don't (usually)
> honor the request to write the data immediately, so it can fill its
> write cache up with several megabytes of data and write it out to the
> disk at its leisure.

FWIW - If you are using MacOS X or Windows, then later SATA (in
particular, not sure about older IDE) will honor the request to write
immediately, even if the disk write cache is enabled.

I believe that Linux 2.6+ and SATA II will also behave this way (I'm
thinking that write barrier support *is* in 2.6 now - however you would
be wise to follow up on the Linux kernel list if you want to be sure!)

In these cases data integrity becomes similar to SCSI - however, unless
you buy SATA specifically designed for a server type workload (e.g WD
Raptor), then ATA/SATA tend to fail more quickly if used in this way
(e.g. 24/7, hot/dusty environment etc).

Cheers

Mark