Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: autoconf guru

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: autoconf guru
Date: 1999-07-29 15:20:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net> writes:
> CC=g++

That is your problem. Don't do it.

Autoconf's job is difficult enough without trying to make all its macros
work with either C or C++ compilers. They haven't tried. If you think
it is critical that they should try, go off and join the GNU autoconf
team.

Back to actually solving the problem: you should be letting CC=gcc and
CXX=g++ as the system is expecting. I don't know what problem you are
trying to solve, but I can assure you that switching those two symbols
around is *not* the path to a solution. What happens when you try to
build the system without forcing the wrong choice of compilers?