Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2009-10-01 02:08:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Now that the samehost/samenet patch is in, I wonder if it wouldn't be
a good idea to replace this part of the default pg_hba.conf file:

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 @authmethod@
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 @authmethod@

with:

# local connections via TCP/IP:
host all all samehost @authmethod@

The advantage of this is that connections made with "-h machine_name"
instead of "-h localhost" would work without customization. I can't
see any disadvantage to it. Making the change now would also give
us an opportunity to test the samehost/samenet implementation in the
buildfarm, at least for machines without Unix sockets.

(Note that you would still need a non-default setting of
listen_addresses for "-h machine_name" to actually work.)

Comments?