Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date: 2016-01-10 18:44:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 01/10/2016 08:07 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

>> So, the purpose of a CoC is twofold:
>>
>> A) Define what "being excellent" means to this particular
>> community.
>> B) Provide a process for how to resolve things when "being
>> excellent" doesn't happen.
>>
>> Without #1, nobody will want to do #2, as it's basically a
>> job that can never be done correctly.

> I agree with you completely. That is actually why I included the link to
> the graphic in the last post. My point was, I have no intention of
> having a CoC that is full of drivel. I would want a clear, concise,
> no-B.S. CoC.

> JD

This may come as a big shock to many of you, but as a contributor
I don't care if you are racist, sexist, transphobic or whatever as long as
you

1) Are helpful when I ask a question
2) Stick to the topic
3) Don't get into petty etiquettes like "Please stop top posting"
and if you really need to - A polite we prefer top posting would do

4) Are sensitive to people on other operating systems other than your
preferred.

One thing that really pushes my buttons is when I ask for help as a windows
user and some person makes a snide remark about why don't I switch to
Linux - problem solved
Or because I'm on windows, I don't care about performance.

Here is an example thread I recall from a while back on PostGIS list.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2008-June/020331.html

In PostGIS group people are very good at calling out other people when
they think they've said something mean-spirited
and I think people are greatful for being called out because the nasty
person had no idea
their joke was mean.

My other concern about CoCs is I fear someone is going to come and demand
we change Master/Slave to Leader/Follower, because Master is a male term
and Slave is insensitive to grand-children of slaves.

Thanks,
Regina