Re: bad performance on Solaris 10

From: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Chris Mair <list(at)1006(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: bad performance on Solaris 10
Date: 2006-04-13 01:53:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruce,

Hard to answer that... People like me who know and love PostgreSQL and
Solaris finds this as an opportunity to make their favorite database
work best on their favorite operating system.

Many times PostgreSQL has many things based on assumption that it will
run on Linux and it is left to Solaris to emulate that behavior.That
said there are ways to improve performance even on UFS on Solaris, it
just requires more tweaks.

Hopefully this will lead to few Solaris friendly default values like
fsync/odatasync :-)

Regards,
Jignesh