Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: lmyho <lm_yho(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!
Date: 2006-03-28 23:54:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

lmyho wrote:

>>Some examples of pg_hba.conf entries are shown in Example 19-1. See the next
>>section for details on the different authentication methods.
>>

>Thank you Richard!! I've made the changes and can login to the DBs through pgAdmin
>now!:) Really appreciated your help!!! I am starting to learn about the postgresql
>now.:))

The authentication methods are handled between the libraries (libpq and
libpxx) and the server. They are transparent to the application.

identd sameuser means use the identd service to require look up the
owner of the process and log him/her in accordingly. This means that
you cannot change your login name but don't require a password (if you
are on the DB server-- do not trust it remotely).

For remote connections kerberos can be used instead, though this takes
more setup and knowledge of Kerberos as a system.

>>I can't remember what type of connect pgadmin uses. It might be "TYPE" host.
>>If it is you will need to add another line to the conf file for that type.
>>

>Seems like the pgAdmin3 uses also the Unix socket pipe. I left only the first line
>in the pg_hba.conf enabled as "local all postgres trust" and pgAdmin3 was able to
>login.:)

Right. But passwords are ineffective with trust authentication. If you
need them you will need to use password, md5, or the like instead.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting