Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index
Date: 2006-03-28 23:17:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 01:05:59AM +0200, Rafael Martinez wrote:
> I work with postgresql every day and I am very happy with it, but this
> does not mean I can not see the issues that could be improve to have a
> even better open source DBMS. And I think in my humble opinion that
> bloated indexes + better upgrade procedures between major releases are
> two things that should get improved in the future.

FWIW, I don't know of any upgrade procedures for databases that can
quickly do an in-place upgrade when underlying file structures change,
because ultimately you need to read and write the entire database
on-disk. And unless you're going to be real gutsy, you'll also need a
good amount of extra storage somewhere, unless you plan on doing this
in-place upgrade without any backups. And at that point, you almost
might as well just do a dump and reload.

Given that, I don't think setting up a temporary Slony cluster to go
between major versions is that big a deal.