Multiple Database clusters on 1 server: good practice or not advisable?

From: "Paul Schluck" <sqlora(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple Database clusters on 1 server: good practice or not advisable?
Date: 2006-10-13 09:23:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

We want to use PostgreSQL at our company for several distinct applictions.
As a newby to PostgreSQL, I wonder if it would be wise to make a separate
database cluster for eacht application. As I understand it, this would give
me the possibility administer each application seperately. For instance some
applications only need to be up from 8-17, so we can easily make off-line
backups, while others need to be up 24x7 and we have to make on-line
backups.

All comments are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul.