Re: commitfest 2018-07

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: commitfest 2018-07
Date: 2018-06-06 15:57:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 5, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>>> Okay. If we tend toward this direction, I propose to do this switch in
>>> two days my time (Thursday afternoon in Tokyo) if there are no
>>> objections, so as anybody has hopefully time to argue back.
>>
>> I think we probably have to wait longer. It's not clear to me when the
>> RMT will decide that the 07 fest is go or no-go, but surely they've
>> not decided yet.
>
> The RMT has its every-other-week catchup planned for tomorrow,
> and we will discuss if we see any obstacles then and report back
> posthaste.

Reporting back from the RMT meeting, the final decision on this has not yet
been made, but here is some guidance:

- The main focus of the RMT is ensuring that PostgreSQL 11 is as stable
as possible and we encourage the community to continue working on the
open items[1] and ensuring this list is small.

- We do need someone to volunteer for CFM (and for anyone new,
CFM means "commitfest manager” :-) because without a CFM there is
no commitfest.

- Per discussions at the developer meeting, we do encourage the CFM
to perform some initial triage to try to move larger patches to 2018-09 CF
so that way we are not distracted while polishing and stabilizing the 11
release.

With the usual exception for forward looking statements, based on the
current open items we do not anticipate anything delaying the start of the
2018-07 CF, unless something really bad comes up, but let’s ensure we
have someone who is ready to lead the CF effort and we continue
solving the open issues.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_11_Open_Items <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_11_Open_Items>