Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, James William Pye <james(dot)pye(at)icrossing(dot)com>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb
Date: 2006-01-27 15:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I get a "WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections".
>> Now this information *is* important. Unfortunately it's mixed in with
>> all the rest unless I use a special redirect of stdout.
>>

> To apply your own argument, why is that important? Anyone with an
> interest in the authentication settings knows where to find them anyway.

I see your point, and sure, this is just the result of PostgreSQL
default behavior so the warning is unnecessary. It's all in the admin
guide anyway. If the default behavior really calls for a warning, then
the default behavior should change. My original line of though was that
the warning was important since it is about a possible security
vulnerability (it's printed on stderr rather than stdout where all the
rest ends up so I'm not the only one making the distinction).

> While we can probably all agree that it's not very interesting to
> mention every single directory that initdb creates, I find it fairly
> hard to buy an argument that some of the non-progress messages are
> important and the others are not. Every one of them got put in
> because someone thought it important.

I agree. The above warning is not an indication that something is wrong
and it should be removed too.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren