Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 22:25:43
Lists: pgsql-www

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> My concerns with a plan like this are:
>> A) I do not know linux as well as FreeBSD.
>
> 80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why we need
> more FreeBSD help.
Correct but the pool of Linux helpers is getting larger by the day. FreeBSD
isn't, at least not at nearly the same rate.

>> B) Can infrastructure be provided to allow for timely disaster
>> recovery in the
>> event of JD's hosting falling off the face of the earth, (much the
>> same way
>> the pg servers in panama fell off a while ago).
>
> We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the infrastructure,
We do have this with CMD though.

> and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right now with Marc hosting,
> afaik. It is an issue we should be concerned with regardless of who's
> hosting. That and backup. I've tried to address what's happening (or
> not happening as I'm afraid) with backup before.
We would back up this machine a minimum of once a day and could do it
more if we liked.
We can also replicate the database.

>> C) How do we settle on the distro/version of the month, this
>> fundamental issue
>> within Linux has always left me with a bad taste in my mouth. (this is a
>> personal item and has nothing to say for the quality of FreeBSD or
>> Linux/distro).

> Unlike *BSD? Generally there have been distros like Debian and
> Slackware that have been server grade for over 10 years and are
> solid. I think the distro of the month is a unwarranted slam from
> FreeBSD people who don't see that others see BSD the same way (Free,
> Net, Open, etc) just with less choice for their respective
> communities. There are lots of Linux distros. Some are better at the
> desktop, some are better at the server. Coming up with a consensus of
> what to use would be pretty easy to do. That being said, I don't
> foresee a day that we'd use Linux just because everything else is
> running on FreeBSD. Being consistent is a good thing.
Well the distro of the month argument is a farse. We would use a well
known linux distro and we would stick with it. We are primarily
a Redhat/FC house and Ubuntu house.

>> D) How does doing something like this affect -core in general (I'm
>> not part of
>> core so i have no idea)
>>

> I don't think it general does. PgFoundry is isolated away from -core.

That is correct it doesn't effect core at all.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/